Parent Conversation Guides
Why do people say mean things?
The purpose of this discussion is to help your child explore motivation for meanness – and be prepared to respond.
- Ask them if they have ever heard someone say something mean about someone else. Can they tell you about it?
- Together, think of possible reasons they did that. Possibilities like …
- They were angry at that other person and wanted to hurt them
- They felt what they were saying was true
- They wanted you to stop liking that other person – and like them instead.
- For each possibility, see if you can come up with something to say that helps – and stops the meanness. You can even be a little silly and then pick the best answers
- I don’t think that is true. And I wish you wouldn’t say it.
- it hurts my feelings when you talk about my friend that way …
- You can stomp your foot and leave the room