Parent Conversation Guides
What to Cover? Why?
These discussion ideas are meant to help your child appreciate that clothing isn’t just about fashion, but that it also has a job to do. Exploring your child’s ideas related to modesty in clothing is a great opportunity to discuss (and influence) personal values.
- Can you think of reasons to keep parts of your body private?
- Why might modesty be good? Is it ever bad?
- Should it be up to the individual to decide how much of their body they want to keep private?
- Are there rules in your family or school or faith about modesty in attire?
- What values do you think modest clothing demonstrates?
- Most people agree that being able to see a person’s eyes is important to being able to know and trust another person. What do you think? Is seeing their nose important? Their mouth? Why?