Parent Conversation Guides
Strutting to the Music
This short exercise can help your children notice how strongly their bodies want to align with the the rhythms they hear. It is almost irresistible. Hmmmm. I wonder why.
- When you have music with a strong rhythm playing in your home, invite your child to move with you in time with the music.
- Share with them how you use music to help you move quickly – when the need calls for it. Out for a fast walk or run? Need to clean and want to keep the pace up?
- Get the family to march in place to the rhythm playing and ask one person to now march in a slightly slower or faster rhythm. And maintain it. (It can be difficult.)
- Then see if someone can join that person and match their rhythm – while the original song is still playing
- Why do you think this is difficult?