Parent Conversation Guides
Secrets & Promises
Some words carry real weight. They matter. These discussion ideas can help you and your child explore and better understand the concept of ‘your word.’
- What does “giving your word” mean? Explore the concept of ‘promise.’
- Can you think of some promises you have made to people?
- When I was your age I remember promising ____. It turned out to be a very difficult promise to keep because ….
- Sometimes we make a promise that we have to break. What should happen? How would you feel if someone made a promise they didn’t keep?
- Is there a way to make a promise without using the word? It’s like the word is what makes it real.
- What is a secret?
- Why do people want someone to keep what they just heard as a secret?
- I remember when I was your age. I wanted to tell my friend about —-, but it was really important to me that they keep it a secret. They said they would, but later I found out they had shared it.
- Has that happened to you?
- Why is it so hard to keep a secret? What if you decide to share it with just one other person – and ask THAT person to keep it a secret? What might happen?
- Is it ever okay to share it with someone else? With a grown-up?
- If you or one of your friends broke a promise or shared a secret, what would be a good way to discuss what happened?