Parent Conversation Guides
Move On Down the Road
The point of these discussion ideas is to help your child know that the music we enjoy changes over time – as we change.
- Do you have a favorite singer? A favorite song? Do your friends like that song too?en.wikipedia.org
- Way back in 1717, Johann Sebastian Bach was the most popular. He was like a rock star. And people are still playing his music today even though it is 300 years old.
- One hundred years ago there was more new music. And fifty years ago. And just one year ago.
- Do you remember your favorite songs when you were just a baby? I do. (Sing it together)
- Are there songs you really liked last year? Any new favorites?
- When I was your age I really liked ___. (Sing it.)
- Today this is my favorite song.
- Even though I have new favorite songs every year, I still really like to play my old favorites. They bring me back to happy memories.
- When I sang some of your old favorites, did they bring back old feelings?
- Music has a way of connecting to our hearts and bringing old feelings back.