Parent Conversation Guides
Do You Have Your Own Brand?
The purpose of these discussion points, for older children, is to explore the idea of personal favorites. When does it get defined by fashion and media vs when does it get defined by the individual? The huge challenge kids face, particularly in their teens, is showing status and belonging. They are naturally pulling away from parental influence in favor of making choices that visibly connect them to their peers.
- What brands are popular today?
- When I was growing up, everyone was really into ___. My parents could/couldn’t afford much so ….
- Do kids talk about what others wear?
- How do you think people decide which brands they like?
- When I was growing up Keds(?) were really cool but then …
- When your child wants to buy a new garment, explore in an easy, non-judgmental way, “Why is this what you want?”