Parent Conversation Guides
Cliques & Styles
These conversation topics can build your child’s awareness of all the ways people send signals to one another about what they like – and who they like.
- Can you tell me about any cliques – or groups of kids who tend to hang out together?
- Do you have a group of friends you like to hang out with? Do you eat lunch together?
- How would you describe your friends in this group? How would you describe people in other groups? What things do you think they have in common?
- Your child knows there are differences. Describing those differences can be challenging.
- You might get them started by using words from your generation – clean cut, preppy, metal, flirty.
- Are there any groups that dress very differently?
- Sometimes people change and like to join new groups. Have you ever had to do that? Was it easy to do or did it get complicated?